Fried Bakes (Floats) Recipe
known as Fried Bakes, or Floats. Though it is called a bake, it is not cooked in an oven. Rather, it is deep fried. Floats is probably the most apt name for them because once in the oil, the dough floats to the surface and puffs up.
Prep Time: 6 minutes
Dough resting: 30 minutes
Total Time: 36 minutes
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powderWhy do Lucian Girls put baby powder all over their chests and necks....?. Read more ... »
- 1Piton Soca Starz Charges into Semi-Final Number Two . Read more ... »/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp white granulated sugar
- A pinch ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Lukewarm waterWINFRESH Launches H20 (St Lucia). Read more ... »
- Oil for deep frying
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon (if using) to a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Rub in butter to flour mixture.
- Add enough water to make a soft dough. When the dough comes together, knead for 2 – 3 minutes. Rub the dough with oil and let rest, covered for at least 30 minutes.
- Knead rested dough for 1 minute and then divide the dough into 10 equal pieces and form into balls.
- HeatChris Bosh Injury: Updates on Heat Star's Abdominal Injury. Read more ... » oil in a deep pan and let come up to 350 degrees F. The oil should be hot but definitely not smoking.
- Roll one piece of dough into 3 1/2 to 4-inch circle. Add dough to oil – the dough should sink and within 2 second start floating to the top of the pan. Using a long-handled pot spoon, spoon oil over the top of the dough so that it continues to puff up, as soon as it puffs up, flip it over. You will notice that it starts to bubble and move around the pan. Let cook until the side is nicely browned.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove bake from pan draining off the excess oil. Add to a paper-toweled bowl.
- Repeat the process from until all the bakes are made.
- Serve with Fried Shark or Fried (sauteed) Salt FishJamaican Steamed Fish (Recipe). Read more ... », eat as it or with cheese, butter, ham, jam or jelly.