- 225 g salt cod
- coconut oil, or olive oil for frying
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp mild chillies, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2-3 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- 2-3 drops hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 2 green bananas, boiled until tender and skins have split, peeled and diced
- 1½ tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 handfuls herbs, coriander, parsley or Caribbean celery leaf
For the cucumber salad
- 1 small cucumber
- ½ tsp sugar
- 2 – 3 tsp lime juice
- 1 dashes of rum
- 1 dashes of walnut oil
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
1. For the green fig and saltfish: prepare the salted cod by rinsing off the excess salt. Put into a pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil then drain; repeat 2-3 times until the water is no longer salty. Remover the skin and bones and flake the flesh.
2. Heat a little oil in a large pan and gently fry the onion, seasoning peppers and garlic until softened. Add the spring onions and stir well.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the prepared saltfish. Add the tomatoes and hot pepper sauce. Finally stir in the bananas and mayonnaise to bind. The dish shouldn’t need any more seasoning because of the saltfish. Serve sprinkled with fresh herbs.
4. For the cucumber salad: deseed cucumber and shred in to thin sticks.
5. Whisk the sugar, lime juice, rum, walnut oil and spring onions together. Drizzle over the cucumber and toss well to dress. Serve with the green fig and saltfish.